10 Tips for Exercising in Winter
Although we often experience the good feel factor during and in particular after an exercise it is easy to forgo this activity in the winter months. Spending longer indoors, colder temperatures and shorter days may result in less time to exercise. Less exercise may lead to weight gain and other health problems. Here are 10 tips to make sure you keep exercising come rain or shine and enjoy it in the process.
- Dress well – When the temperature is low, wearing appropriate gear is important. Wearing clothing that is too warm may cause the body to over-heat and poorer results. Consider clothing that fit the type of activity you partake in.
- Warm up first – When the muscles are cold, it is easy to cause damage. Whenever you start, do not overdo it. Slowly warm up for at least ten minutes before you start. A useful warm up can include walking at a faster pace or slow jogging.
- Beware of the common flu and cold – You are far more likely to come down with flu or cold during the winter months. If you do, you should avoid exercising as it may lead to other health problems and if you are exercising indoors, you might give your flu or cold to others.
- Drink plenty of fluids – The body requires water to cool itself down and for nutritional values. It is easy to forget drinking enough fluids when it’s cold. Even in winter, be sure to drink at least ten cups of water a day.
- Match the activity to the weather – Certain physical activities are suitable for all year round. On the other hand, some may turn out to be a real turn-off in winter. The most suitable winter activities include riding a bike with the appropriate clothing and indoor activities such attending the gym or swimming.
- Manage time better – Due to shorter days in winter, you need to do more in less time. A couple of simple steps can help. Avoid talking with others, be it on the phone or with other people face to face. Keep a close eye on the time and on the breaks you take.
- Try varied exercise to fight boredom – One of the main reasons for giving up an exercise regime is boredom. A varied exercise plan that encompasses different activities will help ensure you stay focused.
- Keep safe – If you tend to exercise outdoors on your own, make sure to wear reflective clothing so you can be seen and you will do well to exercise with a friend.
- Prevent post exercise hypothermia – The condition may happen when the body quickly loses warmth. The most common scenario when clothing is removed immediately after returning indoors from an outdoors activity. Remove the layers one by one thereby giving your body time to adjust.
- Any activity will do – Some is better than none. You do not have to join a health club to keep fit. Walking can be achieved indoors at your nearest mall and going up the stairs instead of taking the lift when you can will do just fine.
Enjoy your exercise and keep well.
Article by Discount Supplements, a UK brand of food and health supplements.